Did you know that gift-giving has been a tradition for thousands of years for a reason? It really helps you make another feel appreciated. Through your gift giving, your relationship with your family, friends and even business contacts will be changed for the better. Trust will form. And when Trust forms the relationship will be cemented in important ways.
One of my favorite pictures of a gift basket delivery to college alumni:
There are many forms of giving – you can give by offering meaningful service or a more meaningful gift at different times of the year rather than only during the holidays. There are a number of ways to create a relationship:
1. A Referral
2. A Thoughtful Christmas Card
3. A Gift of Mentorship
4. A Recommendation on LinkedIn
5. Meaningful Comments on a Facebook Post
6. Customized/Personalized Gifts:
7. Tickets or a Gift Card to a Restaurant, Opera or Ball Game
8. A Corporate Decision Maker – a stainless steel engravable device that can be spun to help guide one’s business choices.
Make sure your gift reflects the fact that you are thinking about them first and foremost.
Think back on a discussion you had with your business associate. Did they mention travel to the Greek Isles? A particular restaurant they loved? A basketball team that was their favorite? A song that they loved?
Martin Luther King, Jr once said: “Everybody can be great… because anyone can serve.”
Take the time to think deeply about what your gift will mean to them. Make it exclusive — something that would be special to them and not necessarily someone else.